Sunday 20 November 2011

Dinner

Last night we were invited for dinner by our good neighbor together with my parents in law and another couple, which, also our neighbor. You can say that we are having 'getting to know your neighbor' moment that night. Since we move back to Denmark last month we haven't got the time to meet with them because of our busy schedule renovating & repairing the house, and also because we live elsewhere during the weekday and only come back here for the weekend.


It was a great dinner, good foods and great company. Luckily, all of them speak English very well. But of course, once in a while they will converse in Danish. Sometimes, I do get what they say but if I don't, I'll just keep quiet, as usual. Heheheh..


The thing about Danish dinner is that they enjoy sitting for hours and hours at the dining table without moving an inch! Well, except for occasional toilet break or smoke break especially if the guest don't actually smoke and yesterday, they both don't smoke. So, for those who do, they will excuse themselves and go out for a quick smoke.You can't really stay too long outside and smoke because the wind is very strong & cold. My first experience having Danish dinner is way back to 6 years ago. I never expect anyone would sit for hours and hours at a dining table like they do because where I came from, we just do not do that. After finish our food, off we go!Hahahha...I was basically in agony because I am so eager to get up and lay down at the sofa & watch tv or read some story book but I do not wan't to be rude. So there I was sitting there, hearing them talking in Danish with occasionally change to English just to include me in the conversation and drinks one cup of coffee after another. By the time, dinner is over, my ass is basically feel 10x wider and my body is OD with caffeine! 


After a year of just follow the flow, I finally have the courage to excuse myself & doing my own stuff, and leave them continue on their dinner 'activity'. Haahah...It is interesting to experience how different culture spend their 'social' time or any other things which they do differently from the way we use to back at home. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment