Monday 3 March 2014

Kiksekage

I baked this cake last year in my attempt to learn Danish baking. I have to admit, the Danes really know how to bake very good pastry and believe me when I say that whatever so called Danish pastry you can find in Malaysia…it's all a lie. It is not even close to any pastry you can get here. Well, I don't blame you because I was 'cheated' also before I have the chance to come here. Although there won't be any fatty food like nasi lemak..mee bandung..banana leaves rice..mee goreng mamak etc to make me fat but there is lots of good pastries to replace those foods that can make me as fat as I can be!!! Hahahha…

Anyway, this particular cake is called Kiksekage (Kikse is the name of the biscuit that is used together in this cake, and Kage is cake in Danish). Now,if you look properly, this cake might remind you of one particular cake we have back home. Yes..if you think about kek batik..you're right! I never bake kek batik before so I can't really say whether the method to do this cake is similar to kek batik or not. But it do look alike. :)

For this cake you need butter, dark baking chocolate, icing sugar, egg yolk & square shape biscuit (for the biscuit you can used any brand. The common one is Marie biscuit but try to get it in square shape so it will be easier for you to arrange the biscuit later on. I can't find a square shape so I end up using a round one. As you can see, the biscuit layer is not smooth & even).

First, you need to melt the butter in a pan on a medium heat. Then add the chopped baking chocolate together with the melted butter. Next, combine the icing sugar & egg yolk in the chocolate mixture while it is still warm. Stir for a few minutes until all is mix well. Removed the mixture from the heat.

Before you start pouring the chocolate mixture into the cake tray ( I used a rectangular shaped cake tray), placed a plastic film (string wrap) at the bottom of the tray. Making sure that you have ample of plastic film on each side so it be easier for you to take the cake out for serving.

Then start pouring the chocolate mixer gradually, alternating it with the square biscuit. Placed the square biscuit properly on top of the chocolate mixture. So, basically susunan kek tu will be choc-biscuit-choc-biscuit …etc. Making sure that the top layer is the chocolate mixture. Cover the cake and refrigerated overnight.

The cake is very 'fragile' and easy to crumble especially if you trying to cut it directly after you take it out from the fridge. Leave it on the kitchen top for 1/2 hrs before you start cutting to get a smooth shape. 



Ingredients:

  • 150g butter
  • 300g dark baking chocolate
  • 50g icing sugar
  • 2 egg yolks
  • approx. 125g square biscuit/Marie biscuit

No comments:

Post a Comment