Tuesday 14 January 2014

Steam Layered chocolate cake with cream cheese

One fine day, I feel like eating cake. Then I look into my refrigerator & thought to myself..hmm..what can I bake? Then it come to me. I think I need to do something with cream cheese in it because I bought lots of cream cheese during my shopping trip to Germany because it is relatively cheap over there as compare to here. So, before I have to throw the cream cheese into the dustbin, I might as well use it. Normally I use cream cheese for frosting but I don't want to do any cake with frosting. 

Then..kaachingggg!!! Why not do chocolate layer cake with cream cheese! Yes..and that I shall do. This cake require me to steam it instead of bake it but since I do not have any steamer, I need to be creative. What do I need? Hmm..

Ok. I need flour, eggs, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar (white & brown), of course cream cheese, cocoa powder, vanilla essence, fresh milk, vegetable oil and hot water.


I make the cream cheese batter first so I mix all the ingredient in one bowl; egg, cream cheese, white sugar, few tbsp of flour and water. Mix it all using a hand mixer until it perfectly blend like this..
 Then wash off the mixer because you gonna need it to do the chocolate batter. In another bowl, mix all the dry ingredients; flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. 
In a separate bowl (this is for the chocolate batter too), mix the egg, brown sugar and vanilla essence. Using a hand mixer, apa lagi..mix lerr..sampai jadi cam ni..
Add then milk, vegetable oil and hot water...
Dalam the chocolate batter tadi..so, jadi cam ni..
Then slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet chocolate batter using spatula. U need to really make sure that both ingredient mix very well and avoid the formation of bubble. Nanti cake x nampak smooth..ada 'jerawat'..hehehe..
Using a cake tray ..but I am using the glass tray because I don't feel the need to take the cake out from it later on. Just chunk it inside the fridge. Hehhhe..So, the first layer is the chocolate so you need to divide the chocolate batter into two...like this..
Then cover it with an aluminum foil..
Ok..for those that have steamer, it is very direct. You just place the cake tray inside the steamer for 20 minutes. But for me and those yang seangkatan with me yang xder steamer, don't worry, you can still steam your cake inside the oven. How? Simple jer. Fill up the oven tray with water..hmm..lebih kurang sebanyak setengah from the oven tray. Then place the cover cake tray inside the oven tray that you already fill up with water. That is why I suggest just isi setengah jer or else, air akan melimpah kluar nanti. So, it look like this..
That is the beauty of baking..you need to be creative and know how to improvise. For those who are using oven, bake the cake in a 180C for 15-20 minutes. Then take it out and let it cool off for 10 minute. Then pour on the second layer, which is the cream cheese. Repeat the process again until you finish it off with the third layer, the chocolate. 

So you get your steam chocolate layer cake with cream cheese.....
It is very nice to eat while it is still warm!

Here are the ingredients;

For cream cheese batter

  • 1 egg
  • 250 gm cream cheese or more if you like it to be more cheesy
  • 70 gm of white sugar
  • 3 tbsp of flour
  • 1 tbsp of water

For chocolate batter

  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup of brown sugar
  • 1 tsp of vanilla essence
  • A dash of salt
  • 1/2 cup of vege oil
  • 1/2 cup of fresh milk
  • 1/2 cup of hot water
  • 1 cup of flour
  • 5 tbsp of cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp of baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp of baking powder
So ...enjoy your baking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment