Monday 30 June 2014

Braided bread with sugar icing and cranberry topping

It has been a while since I last updated my baking activities here. I guess I was busy with other things that eventually make me abandon my blog. HUhuh...so sorry for that. Actually for the past 2-3 months I literally have not bake anything as I just don't feel quite well & in the mood. Waa..boleh..hahaha...Harus la baking mesti ada 'MOOD" baru la jadi kan...

OK. Today I want to update what I just baked yesterday. I have been wanting to bake braided bread..I don't know since ages. But I just don't have enough urge to drag myself to do it but yesterday the urge is ...what shall I say...extremely strong. Hahhaha...so, the next thing I know, I am making a braided bread.

Here's the ingredient:

  • 4 cups of bread flour (but I just use the normal wheat flour)
  • 2 tsp of active dry yeast
  • 2 tbsp of sugar
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 1/2 cup of milk
  • 2 tbsp of butter
  • 2 tsp of salt
  • 2 whole eggs + 3 eggs white (slightly beaten)
  • 3 tbsp of icing sugar (for topping)
  • few drops of water (for topping)
  • some cranberry or any berry of your choice for the topping (you also can use chop nuts)
Right. Now the methods;

In a mixing bowl, add 2 cups of flour, yeast and sugar. Whisk to combine.
In a pot, add the water, milk and butter. Heat until lukewarm.
Pour the wet mixture into the mixing bowl containing the flour, yeast & sugar. But make sure the wet mixture is not hot because it will kill the yeast. It has to be LUKEWARM.
Stirred both mixture until combine. The dough will be sticky but don't worry. Let the sticky dough rest for 10minutes until it rise. 
After 10 minutes, add the eggs into the mixture and stirred well. 
Add the remaining 2 cup of flour and salt into the mixing bowl and knead for few minutes.
If the dough is still sticky, add little bit of flour (tbsp per tbsp) until you get the right texture. It should be elastic, soft and maybe a little sticky to the fingers.
Let the dough rest for 1hr until it double the size. When the dough is risen, divide the dough into three part. And roll each dough into a long dough (cam tali la...) and don't forget to spread flour on your counter top before you start the rolling to prevent it from sticking on the counter top. Make sure the length is equally measure. I have to used a measuring tape for this one. Hahah..because I want the braid to be as perfect as it can be.
Pinching the top of the braid together & tuck them under to seal, and start braiding and again..pinch the end and tuck it underneath the dough to seal it. Let the dough rest again for at least 30min.(Sorry eh no pic from how I braided it coz I am alone. Xder juru photo nya. Hheheh..u can google for how to braid a bread K). 

While waiting for it to raise, place a tray with water inside the over and preheat the oven. Once the dough has rise, brush the top of the dough with egg yolk (add with a few drops of milk) and sprinkle some poppy seed. 

Then bake the dough at 190C for 30min. * After 20min, remove the tray with the water & continue on baking. The reason why I do this is to get the hard outside but soft and pillowy inside effect of the bread.

After 30min, take out the bread and cool it off. To finish it, mix icing sugar with water and spread it on top of the bread and sprinkle some cranberry. So, now you can have your braided bread. Great for breakfast..tea time or even dinner. Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment