Saturday 13 November 2010

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

This is Cambodia. It remind me a lot of Vietnam actually but with less development. I have wanted to come to Cambodia for so many years. Before that, I read a lot of books and seen many documentaries about the country. The devastation that engulfed the nation because of the brutal regime of Polpot make me more interested in getting to know the place and the people better. The past history of Cambodia is so bizarre for me that I must go there and see for itself. Most people come here to witness the majestic of Angkor Wat but my main intention coming here to witness the gruesome past of the nation. Therefore, I begin my journey in Phnom Penh where it all started. After done with the booking, off we go!

We stayed in a motel run by NGO to help the street kid to survive by having a job. It was not bad actually. I was not expecting something as nice as that so we both was happy with the choices though it was a little bit out from town center. It was difficult to get a tuk tuk from that place but the kids working there are willing to help you getting one. We just stayed in the first day in Cambodia but we had make an early booking of a tuk tuk for our sight seeing the next day. It was not bad, USD15 for the whole day & we have a good guide. So we decide to pay him USD20.Hehehe...
Yes! This was our ride. Very fast and efficient and yet save enough. Actually I found out that the tuk tuk in Cambodia is bigger than the one in Thailand. So we have ample of place to ourselves. The time we went to Cambodia, it was raining season so it was damn hot!We get to know that raining season there mean, very hot! So, having an open air 'car' is just nice. We went to the popular Killing Field first thing in the morning after breakfast. Our driver told us that the place is a bit far off from the town center so we better go there first. Yeah man...I won't want to be caught dead in that place in the late evening.Heheheh...
The first thing that greet us as soon as we reach there. It is where they collected all the skull that they can find there. The lower part of the memorial tower is all the victims cloths. Apparently, they have to wash it several time to get rid of the stench smell. They believe that by doing so, I mean collecting all the skull and cloths, is the least they can do to give the dead a proper burial. I didn't even realized I was smiling here, it came automatically when a camera is about to snap.So insensitive of me actually. Sorry peeps! Come to think about it, the place was not as scare as I participate it would be. When we reached there, it was very quiet despite having lots of visitor and besides having all those sign, it look like a normal field.
Then off we go back to downtown and went to see the detention and torture center called S-21. For both of us, this is more disturbing than the killing field. We went to all the building which was allowed for visitor even though my friend was a bit skeptical about going all the way up. I guess we both have this imagination that we might bumped into 'something'.Heeheheh...I had a sad feeling when we went here because I have read a lot of books written about how the whole torture was done and some recollection of the memory of those who survive the regime. So basically I kindda dwell myself into the history too much which does effect me personally during this tour. After spending 2hrs at S-21 we decide to roam Phnom Penh and stop by at the Grand Palace and the National Museum.

We wrapped up the day trip here and off we go back to our motel. After taking shower, we went for a walk to search for food. We end up eating pizza because we couldn't find a Cambodian restaurant that we like and it started to rain again along the way. So we just go inside any eating place.Hahah....We also so unfortunate to bumped into a suspicious man who claimed that his belonging as stolen and he needed money etc. Well, we didn't give him any money though and walk off. I guess he heard that we both speak English so he knew we are not local. God know what happen to him that day. Remember what your parents told you... do not speak to stranger. That is what both me and Deb was doing.Heheheh....Our parent will be very proud.

That night we both can't sleep because we still thinking about the places we went that day. Hehehe...I for sure having all these weird imagination about spirit and all so we both decide to watch tv until 5am! Then off to sleep before deciding to do some shopping in town.Hahaha...We spend 3days in Phnom Penh and on our third day we boarded a bus to go to Siem Reap for a 6 hrs ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment