Monday 6 January 2014

Most wanted cake...red velvet with cream cheese frosting

A friend of mine keep asking me did I did an update on my blog for this recipe. Opsss...I totally forgot because for the past few weeks before Christmas, my schedule was a bit too busy. So, today she ask me again. In order not to disappoint here and because I feel bad that I forgot, so I decide to update it ASAP. Hehheh

I have made experiment with various kind of recipe of this cake and after a while, I manage to modify in order to make the taste and texture of the cake as perfect as possible. And I also try to grab a bit on any red velvet cake/cupcake that I saw in any cafe just to make some comparison. Well, I have to agree with my 'taster', mine really is very moist. Each time I am back in Msia, there are always request or order on this particular cake.

I am not making this cake any soon so there won't be any picture showing how to make it by step yeah. Just the recipe and maybe little bit of guidance. 

 I just love the red color effect on this cake. For those who are very particular about using coloring, you can try using beetroot ( don't worry, it will not effect the taste because beetroot is tasteless but it will have the earthy effect though..like ada rasa cam soil. Tapi it's ok) or you can use pomegranate ( ni maybe ader rasa masam2 sket because pomegranate mmg masam pun). 

So, what you need...obviously you need flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder, sugar, vegetable oil, buttermilk, egg, vanilla essence, red coloring and vinegar. Sometimes, I do add some coffee (dark plain coffee) in the ingredient.

This one my friend place an order for 50 pieces of red velvet cupcake for her office's party. I happily baked it because I just in the mood to bake. Nak bake mesti mood baik kalau tidak, mesti x jadi smua yang di bake. Ingat tu..heheh

First, you mix all the dry ingredient; flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Gaulkan together in one bowl. In another bowl or using food processor ( for those yang ada), mix the vegetable oil (canola oil) and sugar. I always prefer to use canola oil than butter because it give a better texture to the cake. And As usual, I replace the white sugar with brown sugar ( 1. untuk kesihatan, 2. utk result yang bagus iaitu kek yg lebih moist). Then add the egg one by one, and then the buttermilk (ok, I know benda ni susah nak dpt at some place. So untuk improvise, you can do it yourself. Senang jer, just use 1 cup of milk or plain yogurt then tambah 1 tsp of lemon juice. Senang kan?? )

Buttermilk ni akan me'moist'kan lagi your cake ok.
Then in the wet mixture tadi, you add the vanilla essence and of course red coloring :) So, you akan dapat wet mixture yang merah mak ngah gituew..
Then you add the vinegar tp benda ni you can replace with lemon juice. No need to get one bottle of vinegar in the supermarket because you will only need a few tbsp unless you have one already in your pantry or you will use it again and again. Dalam baking ni, mesti tau improvise in case benda tu mahal or susah nak dapat or takder stok.
For those yg nak add coffee, you can add as the final ingredient dlm wet mixture tadi. Then mix the dry ingredient tadi sikit demi sikit. Jangan main letak smua. Ni I advise you do with spatula. To avoid bubble trap dlm mixture. Nanti kek you akan tompok2. Tak smooth la rupa nyer. Don't forget to scrap the mixture kat tepi2 bowl tu ah..so that smua sama rata. Ok..bila dah campur smua letak dlm cake tray and bake for 40-50 minute in a 175C.
You can check whether the cake is bake by inserting tooth pick or chopstick dlm kek and if there is takder benda melekat kat tooth pick or chopstick tu, then maksud nyer cake dah masak!! Cool if off before you put the frosting.
Nak buat frosting senang jer. Jangan kedekut with the cream cheese ya. You use 250gm of cream cheese and add 120gm of butter. Mix it together sampai rata then add icing sugar 3-5 tbsp SAHAJA! Jangan lebih unless you want to get diabetic! Hahha..and finally add 1 tbsp of vanilla essence. So siap sudah!!

Ni ingredient you need:

  • 2 cups of flour
  • 1 tsp of baking soda
  • 1 tsp of baking powder
  • 2 tbsp of cocoa powder
  • 2 cups of brown sugar
  • 1 cup of canola oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup of buttermilk 
  • 2 tsp of vanilla essence
  • 1-2 oz of red food coloring
  • 1 tsp of lemon juice/while vinegar
  • 1/2 cup of hot plain coffee ( for those who wish to add coffee. But do not add it all together. Do it slowly2 and stop once you get texture you need. If you pour all the 1/2 cups trus, kemungkinan your cake and jadi runny/ too watery. So nanti x bake betul2. The measurement I give here is the max amount of plain coffee you need. You might add lesser than 1/2 cup. Ok.)
So, selamat mencuba!!

No comments:

Post a Comment