Friday 3 January 2014

Happy New Year 2014

Finally...another year has come. It is already 2014! How was your new year celebration? Mine was nice. We invite a friend and his family to come over together as well as my in laws for dinner. This year will be the first time we host a new year dinner. Well, we don't actually live here not until 2 years ago. And only after 1 year, our house is really ready for guests and party. Entertaining people at home is something I am used to because while my dad was still in service, we always have gathering of friends and colleague at home whenever there are festive celebrations. I did that a lot too when I am back in KL. 

So, when it come to hosting a dinner/party, obviously you need to cook. And for this dinner, we plan to serve Malaysian foods. I seldom cook Msian dishes because most of it require a lot of ingredients and it consume so much time to prepare but skali skala, boleh la. Just to introduce some of the Msian dishes to the Danish people. So, apa lagi, I dah prepare the menu a week before. Asian ingredients do not come easy here especially the area where we live. Lepas googling maner nak carik Asian's shop, we finally found one and decided to go there. Luckily, the town where the shop is situated is not so far so we took a drive and I must say, I am very happy and satisfied with the shop. Well, at least I know where to get my kangkung if I am craving for it.

I prepared the paste for the chicken curry, prawn in a spicy sauce and black soy sauce squid the day before so I can go ahead and cook the dish in the morning. That is one good thing about Msian cooking, you can do it early in the morning and just reheat it when you need to serve it.

Told my hubby to set the table after lunch and decorate it because I need to cook. And the end result is BEAUTIFUL.  

First thing I do that morning, cook the chicken curry! I marinated the prawn & squid the night before. The prawn I add salt & turmeric powder the night before and for the squid, I marinated with lemon juice (both to get rid of the smell & to soften it a bit so it won't get too rubbery). The next morning, I need to stir fried the prawn while in another pot, I cook the chicken curry.


The prawn are quite big so I am very happy. Probably next time I go get some more from that store and try to do butter prawn. Yummy..anyway, this is how the prawn look like after the frying...
Still steaming hot. But this is not done yet. I just put this aside for later. I need to mix it with the paste to make the gravy later on. After I am done with this one, my next dish is the kuah kacang for our satay. I miss stay so much so I decided, why not!! I made the kuah kacang the night before but something just not rite. I need to make some 'modification'. Hehheh...after the 'modifying' is done..tadaa...akhirnya, dapat sudah the kuah kacang...
What a pity that I have to make it less spicy. Takut nanti, tak ader orang dapat makan. Huhuh..Lepas tu, giliran sotong plak. Color a bit out because I do not have thick black soy sauce like we have at home. Heheh...
Tapi the rasa, maintain sedap okk..heheh. Just now I set aside the prawn right, now lps I add the paste and stir fry together, tadaa...spicy prawn..
Unfortunately, it become very spicy for some. For those who tak peduli, dia orang makan jer sambil tarik hingus. Hahah...yang tan brani, only try sekeping jer. They said it is very nice tapi pedas!! Hhaha..
Anddd...my curry pun dah masak. Waduh, I tengok now lapar plak. Hehhe...actually, I cooked this based on personal request. That friend of ours had tried this so many time during his short visit to Singapore, which was a long time ago and now he misses it so much. Tu yang request nak suruh I masak tu. And the verdict..PASS WITH EXCELLENCY! Hahhah..
Vegetable is a much so I cook stir fry mix vegetable. There is cauliflower, capsicum, mushroom and carrot. No fancy mancy recipe but I add Maggi Secukup Rasa. Hahha..yang I seludup dari Msia. 
And this is my satay! I marinate the mince beef & chicken with turmeric powder and salt. Wet the stick so it won't get burn and stick up the satay on it and trus masuk oven. I wish I can bbq it just like dekat saner tapi it is freezing cold outside so I have to be happy with an oven. It turn out great except for the beef, as it become very dry but edible. Heheheh..the smell..hmm..yummy!
Ini dia!! I brought the nasi himpit from Msia. Bought yang ready made kat carrefour jer. Nanti bila summer come, aku nak buat real satay ni. Do bbq kat luar..ahh..mabeles. I save some of the nasi himpit yang belum di masak untuk itu. Hahaha...
Oh ya, we also did sushi roll. Hubby berkenan sgt nak makan sushi so ok la, I do for him. Actually making sushi ni very simple. All you need is the rice vinegar and the sushi rice. And of course the seaweed thingy. What you put inside the roll, that is up to u. Bila the rice the sejuk, add the vinegar mixture (vinegar, salt & sugar). U let it settle for a while then do your rolling. Here's our sushi....

Hubby did prawn tempura. My father in law love it very much. I guess next time we can make sushi party and invite them both. They won't eat the sushi so much but tempura, at least I know they love it.

So, makanan dah masak, guests dah datang....let's dig in. Happy New Year peeps!!

No comments:

Post a Comment