Friday 10 August 2012

Fondant 2 tier cake

My husband just celebrated his 40th birthday. Months before the birthday approaching, he already talked about it that he need to have some celebration and invite few close friends and relatives. Reaching 40th years old is some kind of a milestone age, well at least from where he comes from. Because I know, from where I come from, 40 or 50 or 30 years old, doesn't mean anything. It's just another age.

So, as the day approaching I decided to do a special cake for him. I never tried my hand on using fondant when making cake before. So, I would like to try this time. And I also never make a 2 tier cake photo cake. So, I bought some of the ingredient from M'sia and brought it all the way to Denmark. Thank God I bought the fondant in M'sia because it is so damn expensive in Denmark.

On the day before his party, I woke up early in the morning & start doing my thing. I decided to do 2 tier rainbow cake with edible picture and frost it using fondant. Since it is his 40th birthday, I think it will be a memorable if I commemorate his life in a cake.
 I wont show how the batter were made as I assume everyone know how it was made. This is just a normal butter cake. The only different is the variety of colour involved.
 Actually the cake is not so thick, it's very think. So, 7 layer of cakes is not actually as high as I imagine it will be.
 There goes, five colours is ready. Now getting ready to do the frosting.I just used the usual vanilla butter cream icing. It is easy to do and it's good as  a 'glue' for the fondant. The fondant was very hard! Man..if I have to rolled it everyday, for sure my arm is way muscular! Hahaha...so, I have to ask the birthday boy to help me.
This is the top layer. It look so smooth! I love using fondant except the rolling part. But I wish I have the fondant levelling tool. Then I believe it look more sharp and smooth. But for now, this is good enough.
 Ok.I didn't take picture for the 1st tier. So, here the almost finish 2 tier rainbow cake with edible picture. As you can see, there is a picture of my hubby when he was just a little baby. I got all the picture from my MIL. She gave me these pictures years ago so I get to see how my hubby look when he was a young boy.
 There was a picture of my in law too, it was taken during their trip to Sarawak. There is his picture with his favourite dog.
 I don't like to do piping because it involve too much icing & most of the time, the icing is wasted. So, luck for me, I have this edible chocolate lettering. Luckily I have enough alphabet for all the wording I need.
 Yes, our wedding picture also included & my favourite picture of him, the one on the left, using the bell bottom pants.:D
 Some picture of him taken in China when we visited the terracotta warrior site and also when he first came to the longhouse.
 Brought the candle from KL, just in case I have no time to search for it here. And that is the whole cake, the finishing touch. I am so happy with the outcome & I received huge compliment for the presentation. It took me almost 12hrs to finish all of it. Man that is tough! hahha..but for my husband, I'll do it again.
This is how it look like, rainbow cake. Ok..not exactly the actually rainbow colour but it will do.I realised that the colouring here is not as strong as we have in M'sia. Talk about healthy conscious.

No comments:

Post a Comment