Monday 2 December 2013

Baking & more baking

I love to bake, which is not a surprise for anyone who know me. Where does this talent come from, I guess from my mum. Nowadays, you will hardly see my mum lifting a finger to bake anything because I guess she knew, the daughters can do it either for her. When I was younger, festive season normally a time for baking & bonding. We do biscuits and cakes together, my mum & my sister & me...Those were the time when people don't go to the shop and buy ready made biscuit like they do nowadays.

So, as I grow older, I learn to experiment and improve my skill in baking. Here are some collection of cake, which I either bake when entertaining my friends/families or to fullfil some personal order, mostly from close friends.

 I made this butter cookies for Christmas. I used cookies cutter and just a simple icing sugar melted with hot water and mix with some coloring, as the topping.
This is a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting, which was personally requested by my brother for his 31st birthday. This cake... I mean red velvet cake is one of my most requested cake among friends. Some even already order it even before I landed my feet in KL/Kuching. I have experimented with lots of red velvet recipe to finally found the best combination, which I used until today. Received lots of credit for it ...
 American chocolate cake, which my brother requested as my farewell gift before I left to KL. :)
My sister asking me for a favor to bake cupcake for her daughter's birthday. So, I gladly bake 24 pieces of vanilla cupcake with buttercream frosting. The only 'customer' that I won't charge for the cake I bake is my own family. The rest, sorry babe..have to pay. Hehehe..
 Last year I have the change to go back to the longhouse for Gawai festival so my mum asked me to bake a few simple cake. Hmm..simple...it must not be fragile (as it will be a 4-5 hrs journey), does not react badly to heat is such a short time (not that we have fridge in the car) and can be serve to visitor without making any mess (that mean the cake must not have frosting). So, I decided on there cakes..traditional chocolate chip cake
 Old time favorite, butter cake
And my mum favorite cake...banana chocolate chip cake.
 When I am back in KL, I love to entertain my friends at home. They of course love to come to my gathering as that will be the only time we get to chat and eat, and catching up with each other. Made this cake for one of our gathering. It's a mint chocolate cake with swiss meringue frosting. My first time using swiss meringue frosting. And to finish it, I spread/sprinkle some Andes chocolate mint as the topping.
 Sometimes, when I do not know what to buy for a friend's birthday, baking a birthday cake for them is one of the way I think will make a good 'gift'. Made this mud chocolate cake for a friend on his birthday. I just used a simple buttercream frosting and the writing, I used marzipan, which I mix with some coloring.
 Again this is red velvet. A friend's son is having his 3rd birthday & I was invited. I asked them what can I get for their son, both parent say RED VELVET!! Hahha..so..I gladly made one delicious red velvet cake for them and the guests.
Once in a while, I will bake cake just for coffee time. This time I made a marble cake with buttercream icing.
 Or sometimes, I bake some biscuit. This is chocolate muesli biscuit.
 Made this carrot cake with cream cheese frosting for one of our gathering.
This is very moist chocolate cake with chocolate ganache. Originally it look like this..
 Then using scone cutter, I manage to cut the whole cake into 7 mini cake.
 Then finished it off with chocolate ganache before topping it with birthday wording that is made from edible sugar decoration.
 Made this for the first time, chocolate caramel cheesecake and it was a HIT! For those who wish to be on a diet, this is definitely something you do not wish to eat.

 Received an order for a butter cake. This cake is very simple to do but you have to use a damn good butter if you want the end result to be marvelous!

The same person also requested for chocolate moist cake so here's one!

 One of my friend is having some makan2 at her office and she wanted me to bake some cupcake for her. She requested for moist chocolate cupcake.
I had an appointment to meet up with an old friend from my uni years so I decided to bake some simple yet tasty cake for her. So, lemon cake it is!
 When my parent and sister were here for Christmas last year, I baked this for our coffee time. Banana chocolate cake.
 My nephew was invited for a pool party and he wanted me to bake my signature red velvet cake. So, happily I made one for him and he came back from the party with more order for the cake. My ...my..


For Christmas 2012, my sister and I decided we will serve the traditional Christmas fruit cake. The coloring they have in Denmark is so 'user friendly' that it didn't turn out as red but PINK instead! Hahah..that is when I decided, I better but from M'sia the next time I am back home.

    Inside the cake..


Made this black forest cake for my nephew's and mum's birthday. They shared the same birthday date. This black forest follow the original recipe so there is liqueur in the cake. The one that we normally buy from the bakery back home, is normally alcohol free. Notice there are 4 numbers on the cake, 15 & 64.
 Although there is alcohol in this cake, I don't put too much of it because there are children joining us eating this cake. Personally, I love it.
 Heard about this cake from my sister living in the States so I decided to try it. This is Tres Leches Cake or simply translated to 3 layer milk cake. This is because this cake is a mix of condense milk, evaporated milk and milk cream. Yesss...another high sugar & calori cake but nevertheless, it is delicious.
 One of mom favorite cake, cheesecake and this time, I use pineapple. She love the sweet & sour taste of the cake.
 When I am here, sometimes I prefer to bake my own bread. This is just a simple milk bread with a dash of poppy seed on top. Very simple and easy to do, just need flour, yeast, salt, milk and poppy seed. Put in the oven for 40min then u get your bread.:)
 My hubby like to eat pizza so we sometimes made our own pizza. It's really easy to make a pizza. The important part is the dough. When you get the right dough, everything will all fall into place. As for topping, you can be as creative as you like.
There you go. This is as much as I will put here. Actually there are many more that I would like to share but I guess it's enough for today. I will post some more later as baking is my life! Maybe one day, I even promoting my own cafe here...who knows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment