Monday 9 December 2013

Freshly bake small & soft bun

My husband told me that I need to make small bun for the coffee party. I was like..hmm..bun. I don't actually bake bun. In fact, I never bake one! My sister on the other hand always do it because she has 3 kids! Hahah...At first, hubby said scone not bun but he said, they like to eat the bun with some cold cut. So..I was thinking, that can't be right. Scone + cold cut????? I am not so convince that we are talking on the same kind of scone here so I asked him to show me some picture of his 'scone'.

After saw the picture..well, it's actually not the English scone that I know but a small bun. Don't ask me why he said scone. Hahaha..anyway, I did some research and found one, which I will modify accordingly. Although I mentioned that I never bake bun before but I made bread so many time. It is not so much different from a bread dough it seem.

For this bun, I need the big gun...yes, I will use my Kenwood kitchen helper/mixer..because I need to make around 24 pieces of small bun and that involved around 1 kg of flour.
To make the dough, you need flour, yeast, sugar, warm water, egg, salt & butter. And scone cutter. Well, you can mould the round shape using free hand but I just want it to have a nice round shape. :)
I am using this type of mixer, which is suitable for making bread dough...the one on the side is more suitable for making cake batter.
First, place flour, salt, sugar & butter in the mixing bowl...don't mix it yet ok..tunggu
Because you need to make sure that the yeast is ready. I am using wet yeast just because I can find it easily here.
Then you add warm water to it. Do not use hot water because you will kill the yeast and your dough will not come up. Too cold, the yeast will not work also so it has to be luke warm. Mix it together until the yeast is dissolved. You get a milky mixture like this.
In the mixing bowl tadi, you add the egg.
 Then you mix it using medium speed. While it is still stirring, slowly add the yeast until habis. So, you akan dapat dough yang cam ni. A bit sticky though. For me, personally, I will add maybe 2-3 tbsp of flour so that it won't be so sticky. Stop the mixer & take out the dough.
Place the dough on a baking mat like this one ( bought this in Ikea), which I found very useful. Mould it using your hand & sprinkle a bit of flour once in a while on the mat so that it wont stick to it. Mould it to a round shape.
Lepas tu cover the dough using a cloth and biar the dough for 20-30 minute.
 Dough tu akan kembang sampai cam ni (supposedly la). If your dough tak kembang, meaning something is wrong with your yeast preparation.
Take a little bit of the dough, one at a time, rolled it and cut it using a scone cutter. Or you can simple mould in into a small round shape. But I like to see in a perfect round shape. Bila the dough dah abis, cover the small dough yang dah di letak kat oven tray ngan cloth like this..and biar for another 20min.

It will kembang cam kat bawah ni...this is just purfect..heheh
Then bake for 20 minute in a 200C temperature. Your bun will look brownish.. look cam keras di luar tapi when you touch it, actually it is very soft especially the inside. I am quite surprise too.
This recipe actually received a lot of complement from the guest and even I am surprise because it's my first time and it turn out much better than I expect it to be.
Eat while hot with butter and jam...mmg the BEST!

Here's the ingredient:

  • 1kg of flour
  • 100 gm of sugar
  • 150 gram of butter
  • 2 cup of luke warm water
  • 100 gm of wet yeast (kalau guna dry yeast, sama jer the measurement)
  • 1/2 tsp of salt
  • 1 egg
Simple kan...slamat mencuba!

1 comment: