Monday 9 December 2013

Lemon poppy seed muffin

Ola everyone. I did a lot of baking last weekend because we invited friends and family over for coffee time at our home. Well, hubby invited them to celebrate my birthday since my wish for my birthday this year is to spend time with him ALONE! So, he invited them the day after my birthday. And I particularly like coffee/tea time because to held lunch or dinner party is so much a hassle and too many cooking do to. But baking, I don't mind doing. 

So, today I want to share with you guys my version of lemon poppy seed muffin. Amazingly, I thought it might not be so popular among the guest but they love it so that make me very happy. :)

So, to start, the ingredients are lemon (obviously), sugar (white this time because I won't want the muffin to be brown), flour, butter, sour cream or buttermilk, eggs, vanilla essence, bicarbonat soda, baking powder, salt and icing sugar..and not forgetting, poppy seed.

 First of all, grated the lemon skin to get the zest. I have the habit to add most lemon zest the require because I love the lemony taste and smell when you bake it in the oven. Here I only one because their lemon is quite big. Lepas do the grated, take the juice and save for later.
 Add the lemon zest with the sugar. Rub it together..dalam kata lain, gaulkan la the sugar & lemon zest smp sebati.
In another bowl, mix the dry ingredient as usual; flour, baking soda, baking powder & salt. Then add the sugar & lemon zest into the dry ingredients.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan under a low heat. Tak payah panas sgt nanti butter tu hangus pulak. Hehhehe...In another bowl whisk the egg, 
In another bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream/buttermilk ( I however used yogurt because I have neither. But it's ok because the function is the same and smua pun ada masam effect to the muffin), vanilla essence, melted butter and lemon juice yang di perah lps you grated the lemon zest. Mix all with a hand mixer. Lepas tu, add the poppy seed. I just used 2tbsp of poppy seed though you can add as much or as little as you like. 
 Finally, add the dry ingredient to the wet ingredient tadi and mix well. I normally use a spatula when I mix the dry into wet ingredient. Because if you used hand mixer, satu the tepung akan fly here and there, and I so don't like. Abis my kitchen..and also to avoid tepung to berketul2. If there is flour clump in the mixture, bila baking nanti, you can see the cake punya texture tak smooth...like there is some discoloration bila you potong the muffin. I hope you all faham what I am trying to say la kan pasal susah nak show. Hahah..
Then put the mixture in a muffin cup. Since it's a muffin, you can fill it penuh tapi jangan la penuh sangat kan. The mixture won't be as runny as cupcake mixture. It's a bit 'kental' but don't worry because it's a muffin. It is suppose to be a bit harder than cupcake. Asal jangan keras cam batu sudah. Then bake in a 175C temperature for 20 minutes.
 Here it is..lemon poppy seed muffin. Oh ya..I just used a simple glazing, icing sugar with lemon juice. Again, I don't have measurement for this. What you can do is that, take 3 tbsp icing sugar, then add 1tsp lemon juice. Mix it properly and pour some on top of the muffin. You can add more icing sugar if you want but I want the glaze to be too sweet. If nak the topping lebih pekat, use less lemon juice.
 The recipe that I am about to give will yield around 12 pieces of muffin.
For those yang suka, masam2 manis, this will be a good muffin for you to try. Happy baking!

Ingredients:

  • 2/3 cup fine sugar
  • 2 lemon ( 1 for the zest & juice for the muffin & another one, is for the frosting tp only the juice ya)
  • 2 cups of flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk/sour cream
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1 stick butter (approx. 125gm), melted
  • 2 tbsp poppy seed
  • Icing sugar (for the glaze)
Happy baking & eating!

P/s: If you want your muffin top to be 'crunchy' you can sprinkle some granulated sugar on top before putting it inside the oven. Tapi be warn that it will be very sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment