Monday 9 December 2013

Pineapple upside down cake

Yes..another baking. It surely has been a busy morning for me that Sunday because I need to bake  a few different kind of cake/bun. I prefer to serve my guest with variety of serving rather than just one type. Like what my mum always said, biar lebih makanan asal jangan kurang. Nanti malu. Hehehe... so I took my 'laboratory equipment' & let us make a cake!

For this cake, you do not have to use pineapple. You can easily replace it with apple/peach/berries etc. It is up to you which fruits you want to use. As for me, pineapple it is! What do you need???
 As usual, mix all the dry ingredient in a bowl; flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In another bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar together until creamy. For this cake, I am using brown sugar. My old time favorite. Furthermore, the cake will be brown so it's ok to use brown sugar. 
Then add the egg one at a time and blend well. Stir in vanilla essence. 
Lepas tu, add the dry ingredient into the wet by alternating it with buttermilk. For those who do not have buttermilk, you can replace it with normal milk but add some lemon juice (1 cup of milk + 1 tbsp of lemon juice). Since normal milk has a different texture compare to buttermilk, I will use lesser milk. Instead of 11/4 of buttermilk, I used only 1 cup of milk or even lesser. 
I normally stop adding the milk when the mixture dah cukup cair. Not too watery and not too hard. This I guess you need to learn through experience of baking. So, kekdg I tak guna smua milk pun. So,now the cake batter is ready.
But before tu, you need to melt 1/2 cup of butter. I don't think I guna 1/2 cup even. Just a few tablespoon of butter. Depend on your cake try (the diameter). The 1/2 cup measurement is for a 9-inch cake tray.
Sprinkle some brown sugar in the cake tray before you pour the melted butter on it.
Place the pineapple on top of the melted butter and brown sugar. I just used the canned pineapple. But kalau nak best lagi, do use a fresh pineapple. Memandangkan kat sine pineapple smua xder rasa/very masam so better I use canned la. Hahaha...Lepas tu pour the cake batter inside the cake tray and bake for 45-50min in a 175C temperature.
 Here it is, pineapple upside down cake! Not too sweet, just nice!
Normally, within all those whole (at the centre of the pineapple), people always place a cherry but I know, not many like so I decided not to put any cherry (fresh or not). So, here how it look like. The cake is serve with fresh whipped cream. Simple marvelous especially when you have it over a cup of hot tea/coffee on a cold winter day. :)

Ingredients;

  • 11/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup butter, 3-5 tbsp for melting
  • 13/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 bicarbonat soda
  • 1/4 salt
  • 3/4 - 1 cup of milk
  • 7 tbsp brown sugar for the sprinkling
  • 1 can of pineapple ( you won't use it all anyway)
  • A few cherry (if you decide to use it. It doesn't have to be fresh cherry. You can use the one you can get at the supermarket)
Simple right...




No comments:

Post a Comment